Why Should Anyone Be Led By You?
Really like this book.
Here are the Four Things Inspirational Leaders Share, according to the authors:
"We've discovered that inspirational leaders share four unexpected qualities:
- They selectively show their weaknesses. By exposing some vulnerability, they reveal their approachability and humanity.
- They rely heavily on intuition to gauge the appropriate timing and course of their actions. Their ability to collect and interpret soft data helps them know just when and how to act.
- They manage employees with something we call tough empathy.Inspirational leaders empathize passionately—and realistically—with people, and they care intensely about the work employees do.
- They reveal their differences. They capitalize on what's unique about themselves.
You may find yourself in a top position without these qualities, but few people will want to be led by you.
Our theory about the four essential qualities of leadership, it should be noted, is not about results per se. While many of the leaders we have studied and use as examples do in fact post superior financial returns, the focus of our research has been on leaders who excel at inspiring people—in capturing hearts, minds, and souls.
This ability is not everything in business, but any experienced leader will tell you it is worth quite a lot. Indeed, great results may be impossible without it."
More from the authors here:
1. Book website including videos: http://www.whyshouldanyonebeledbyyou.com
2. Harvard Working Knowledge Article by Rob Goffee and Gareth Jones: http://hbswk.hbs.edu/archive/1710.html